Skip to main content


Grievances Procedures

Students may submit any grievances that they might have with respect to academic affairs or interpersonal relationships in writing to the Dean of Academic Affairs. Upon receipt of the grievance, the Dean of Academic Affairs will meet with the student. An effort will be made to resolve the grievance. If the grievance is not resolved satisfactorily, the student may appeal the decision to the Academic Affairs Committee. The Dean forwards the grievance to the Academic Affairs Committee for resolution. The decisions of the Academic Affairs Committee are final and are non-appealable.

The following principles and procedures governing dismissal will be used if the reasons for dismissal are due to moral inconsistencies, significant neglect of duties, behavior, attitudes that are not in harmony with GMU’s written policies, statements, standards, and ethical practices.

Dismissal of a student before graduation will be preceded by:

  1. Discussions between the student and appropriate administrative officers (e.g., Dean of Academic Affairs or Dean of Student) looking toward a mutual agreement
  2. Informal inquiry by appointed faculty committee, which may, failing to effect an adjustment, determine whether in its opinion dismissal proceedings should be undertaken, without its opinion being binding upon the administration
  3. A statement of charges framed with reasonable particularity by the Academic Dean and submitted to a committee of faculty and administrators (i.e., an ad hoc Grievance Committee consisting of dean of student, academic dean, one student selected by the Academic Dean, and one student selected by the student who has a grievance). Pending a final decision by the committee, no overt action relative to the student’s activity is to be taken.

If a student has a grievance or a challenge to disciplinary or dismissal actions that she/he wishes to pursue through special procedures, he should inform the academic dean. The Academic Dean will form the ad hoc Grievance Committee consisting of Dean of Student, one student selected by the Academic Dean, one student selected by the student with a grievance, and the Academic Dean him or herself. The student with a grievance will write a report detailing his grievance and suggesting any desired changes. The committee will have a meeting to discuss the grievance, reasons the school administration has been pursuing its present course and determine any more investigation that is needed. A second meeting will be scheduled which will allow the committee to ask questions of the professor and the administration. Proposals for recourse, change or for dismissing the grievance without recourse or change will then be written and voted on by secret ballot. Dean of student will inform the committee of the vote tally. The vote of the committee will decide the matter unless dean of student asks the board to review the case (including minutes and vote tally). In case of a tie vote, dean of student will make the decision. Careful minutes to both meetings should be kept including the results of the vote tally.

If any student feels he or she has been injured by a colleague, he should discuss the matter with the Academic Dean. If the aggrieved student wishes to pursue the matter further, it will be the function of an appointed committee composed of dean of student, Dean of Academic Affairs and one student to examine matters carefully and render a recommendation to dean of student.

Complaint about This Institution

A student or any member of the public including prospective students may file a complaint about this institution with the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education by calling (888) 370-7589 (toll-free telephone number) or by completing a complaint form, which can be obtained on the bureau’s Internet Web site , E-mail: [email protected]

If a student has grievances which he or she cannot work out with the school, he or she may call or write to:

Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 980818
West Sacramento, CA 95798-0818

Physical Address:
Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education
2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento California, 95833

Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools Office

P.O. Box 328
Forest, Virginia 24551
(804) 525-9539 Fax (804) 525-9538

Phone: (916) 431-6959
Toll Free: (888) 370-7589
Main Fax: (916) 263-1897
Licensing Fax: (916) 263-1894
Enforcement/STRF/Closed Schools Fax: (916) 263-1896

Association for Biblical Higher Education

850 T. G. Lee Blvd., Suite 130
Orlando, FL 32822-1781
Tel (407) 207-0808         Fax (407) 207-0840
E-mail: [email protected]